Classic Apple Galette, Two Ways
Galettes are universally adored and super simple to make with kids. They can be savory or sweet, and once you’ve made your first one, you’ll be hooked!
Little Sous Tips:
- Safety first! Adult supervision is recommended for steps that involve slicing the apples and use of the oven. Here’s a tool that we love for safely teaching kids to develop knife skills.
- This recipe that can also be made with store-bought pie dough.
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Tillamook Unsalted Butter, cold or frozen, cut into tiny chunks
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 2 apples (Gala, Fuji, or Granny Smith)—skin on, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons Tillamook Unsalted Butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, 1 ½ tablespoons of sugar, and salt. Add the chunks of butter and blend with your fingertips, making sure each chunk of butter is covered in flour. Continue mixing until the ingredients come together in clumps. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until a dough is formed.
Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead gently. Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment into a 12-inch circle. Refrigerate the dough while you preheat the oven. (The dough can be made ahead of time, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
Place the dough on a parchment-lined, rimmed cookie sheet. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs on top of the dough, leaving a 1 ½-inch border on all sides. Mound the apple slices on top. Drizzle with the melted butter. Sprinkle the light brown sugar over the apple slices.
Fold the edges of the dough inward over the apple slices near the edges—the finished galette will be about 8 inches in diameter.
Brush the edges of the galette with milk, and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar around the edge.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Omit the brown sugar and add ½ cup of Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese Slices on top of the sliced apples before baking.
Add 2 tablespoons of Tillamook Farmstyle Thick Cut Medium Shredded Cheddar Cheese to the galette dough.