Lemony Sour Cream Muffins
Little Sous Tips:
- Safety first! Adult supervision is recommended for steps using the oven.
- Baking powder begins to act as soon as the wet and dry ingredients are combined. Make sure the oven is preheated and pans are ready before you mix everything together.
- Mix and match: you can add poppy seeds to the batter if you like them. You can also add jam to the center of each muffin: just fill the muffin tin with half of the batter, add 1 teaspoon of jam to the center, then top with the other half of the batter. Feel free to explore!
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
For the Muffins:
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Tillamook Sour Cream
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) Tillamook Unsalted Butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 4 tablespoons raspberry or strawberry jam (optional)
For the Icing:
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin pan cups with paper liners or spray each with a non-stick baking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, butter, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir gently until just combined.
Using a large ice cream/cookie scoop, divide the batter among the 12 cups.
Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, or until they are evenly golden brown and nicely rounded. Let cool completely in the pan before icing.
Make the icing: In a small bowl, stir the confectioners’ sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. The glaze should drip off a spoon; add another tablespoon of lemon juice if necessary. Drizzle each muffin with icing. Enjoy!