Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Maple Yogurt
Pumpkin puree adds delicious fall flavor, natural sweetness, and a boost of vegetables to these classic waffles. A touch of brown sugar adds crispness. Loads of maple syrup is the real culprit with waffles and pancakes, so to slash the sugar, serve up these waffles with Maple Yogurt and fresh fruit. If you’d like to add some protein, sprinkle finely chopped pecans or walnuts on top of the batter after you pour it into the waffle maker.
Excerpted from Half the Sugar, All the Love by Jennifer Tyler Lee and Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH. Photographs by Erin Scoot. Workman Publishing ©2019.
- Yield: Makes 14 large waffles
For the waffles
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg or ground allspice
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can unsweetened pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries, peaches, apricots, bananas, or other fresh fruit to serve (optional)
For the maple yogurt
- 2 cups low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a serving bowl.
Preheat a waffle maker to medium heat.
Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
Whisk together the milk, oil, butter, vanilla, eggs, and pumpkin in a medium bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
Add about ½ cup batter (or the amount called for in your waffle maker instructions) to the waffle maker and spread out with a silicone spatula. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer than indicated on the machine because the pumpkin makes the batter denser and so it takes longer to cook. You can check if they are cooked through by tearing off a corner of one of the waffles.
Serve the waffles right away, with the Maple Yogurt and fresh fruit on the side.