How to Soften Butter (the Fun Way!)
Forget the microwave! Put a little muscle into it.
Everything’s better with butter! Since the creamy sticks are refrigerated to maintain freshness, the fats inside harden and need to be broken down into a malleable state before being added to your favorite recipes. By using just two simple kitchen tools (a rolling pin and parchment paper), kids will be amazed at this method’s simplicity.
Part of our You Did It! video series, a collaboration with Tillamook, this video demonstrates how to go about it.
1. If you’re using a specific amount of butter for a recipe, make sure you measure it out BEFORE you soften it using this method!
2. Unwrap your cold, Tillamook butter.
3. Place your butter at the center of a sheet of parchment paper, and then lay another sheet of parchment over top.
4. Using a rolling pin, gently pound the butter between the two parchment sheets until it starts to flatten.
5. Remove the top sheet of parchment. With your thumb or index finger, press gently into the butter. Is it soft?
You did it!